Kelley Deal

Dean of Marketing at Nash Community College, Rocky Mount, NC

I returned to East Carolina University as a non-traditional graduate student after spending more than ten years in the field. My tenure as a public relations and marketing practitioner provided a unique perspective that prepared me for continuing my education. What I was not prepared for, however, was the life-changing impact the experience, and most especially the research, would have on me. ECU School of Communication faculty encouraged my scholarship and brought out a new awareness in me that would make an indelible mark on my career and outlook on life. The faculty carefully selected relevant texts, facilitated rich student-guided discussions and encouraged investigation and learning that ultimately had more influence on my scholarship than I knew possible in an online learning environment.

Kelley’s first position out of college was as account coordinator for Carney & Co., an advertising agency in Rocky Mount, NC. When she graduated from ECU in 2000, she researched and selected several agencies in North Carolina. She got a call from the Carney & Company president about an opening he had not even posted. Since then, Kelley has worked at another advertising agency and in a communication role for a large financial institution.

From the School of Communication, Kelley acknowledges Dr. Rebecca Dumlao as becoming a great mentor during graduate school. Kelly says Dumlao helped her hone her inquisitive nature, see the impact and potential of her research and guided her through every step of her thesis research.

Her advice to new graduates is use their network and resources and to think outside of the box. Kelley says every applicant should set themselves apart and let employers know exactly why they would want them on their team.