Countenance Student Magazine Receives Columbia Scholastic Press Association Award 

Congratulations to Dr. Cindy Elmore, Barbara Bullington, and their students on their selection as a 2022 recipient of the Silver Crown award, College Print General Magazine! 

Image of Award-Winning Countenance Magazine

Columbia Scholastic Press Association bestows the Gold and Silver Crown awards to top student publications for overall excellence. Countenance last received a Crown award, and the highest rating (Gold Medalist), in 2020 for the 2019 edition. 

“I’m thrilled that Countenance received this recognition from peer teachers and advisors who review student publications for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association,” said Elmore. “I’m always proud of the work my students do in the Feature Writing class; but getting national recognition for a magazine that showcases some of their work is even better.” 

Countenance is a general long-form feature magazine produced by students in the School of Communication since 2017. Elmore teaches the Fall Feature Writing class where the students create the content, and Bullington teaches the Spring Desktop Publishing class where the students design the magazine. 

“Although most students have created news articles, this a chance to see what happens behind the scenes of a publication as the written word is combined with graphics and design for an actual (and quite large) readership,” said Bullington. “Additionally, they learn teamwork since everyone plays a role in the process of creating the magazine.” 

Students in these classes learn tangible skills such as how to use Photoshop to enhance photos, how to use Illustrator to create infographics, and how to write and edit for professional publications. They also learn about design in general, from color schemes to magazine design terms. 

Feature Writing student and 2021 CSPA Gold Circle Winner Caroline Inderlied said, “I believe that writing for Countenance has not only helped me grow as a writer but has also expanded my knowledge and interest in print journalism. Throughout the process of developing my story idea, conducting interviews, and piecing my article together, my critical thinking, editing skills and professionalism were put to the test.” 

The magazine is distributed to more than 25,000 households in the Greenville, Rocky Mount, Elizabeth City, Wilson, and Washington, North Carolina, areas via local newspapers. This year, School of Communication graduates who have agreed to receive emails from ECU will also receive an electronic copy of the magazine.