April Paul Baer

Though I certainly believe that my undergraduate degree more than prepared me as a professional, it was the continued learning experiences through the graduate program in the School of Communication that inspired the scholar within me. It is through my continued learning as a student within the Health Communication program that I was able to determine my passions personally and professionally – leading me to a career as a higher education administrator. The foundational skills for interpersonal and intercultural communication, research, and application are instrumental to my work in ensuring equity of access and opportunity as a Title IX officer. Further, these skills provided me the confidence to continue my formal education to the fullest extent – earning my Doctorate of Education in May 2017. An advanced degree in communication provides professionals with the opportunity to further explore the complexities of the meaning made through dialogue and rhetoric; coupling this with the added emphasis in health communication allows students to explore the potential for all outcomes in health contexts.